Epson Confirms Commitment to United Nations Global Compact by Signing the Statement from Business Leaders for Renewed Global Cooperation
- TOKYO, Japan, September 23, 2020 -
Seiko Epson Corporation (TSE: 6724, "Epson") has reiterated its commitment to the United Nations Global Compact by signing the Statement from Business Leaders for Renewed Global Cooperation.
The Statement from Business Leaders for Renewed Global Cooperation was announced as a new policy of the UN in September, and was issued to mark the 75th anniversary of the founding of the United Nations and the 20th anniversary of the United Nations Global Compact. Signatories commit to operating in a spirit of global cooperation, accountability, corporate ethics and transparency, and to upholding the following points:
- Demonstrate ethical leadership and good governance through values-based strategies, policies, operations and relationships when engaging with all stakeholders
- Invest in addressing systemic inequalities and injustices through inclusive, participatory and representative decision making at all levels of our business
- Partner with the UN, Government and civil society to strengthen access to justice, ensure accountability and transparency, provide legal certainty, promote equality and respect human rights
In making that commitment, we also call on Governments to:
- Protect human rights, ensure peace and security, and uphold the rule of law so that businesses, individuals and societies can flourish
- Create an enabling environment to serve the interests of people and planet, prosperity and purpose, through strengthened international cooperation and national legal frameworks
- Enhance multilateralism and global governance to combat corruption, build resilience and achieve the SDGs
As a member of society, Epson takes an uncompromising approach to socially responsible corporate conduct in areas such as compliance, human rights, environmental action, workforce diversity, and supply chain management. We take these and other social issues seriously and are working toward solutions. We aspire to make Epson an indispensable company through the practice of ethical corporate conduct and by playing a central role in realizing a better world through the products and services we provide.
- About the United Nations Global Compact
As a special initiative of the UN Secretary-General, the United Nations Global Compact is a call to companies everywhere to align their operations and strategies with ten universal principles in the areas of human rights, labour, environment and anti-corruption. Launched in 2000, the mandate of the UN Global Compact is to guide and support the global business community in advancing UN goals and values through responsible corporate practices. With more than 10,000 companies and 3,000 non-business signatories based in over 160 countries, and more than 60 Local Networks, it is the largest corporate sustainability initiative in the world.
- About the Statement from Business Leaders for Renewed Global Cooperation
- Participation in external initiatives
Epson is a global technology leader dedicated to becoming indispensable to society by connecting people, things and information with its original efficient, compact and precision technologies. The company is focused on driving innovations and exceeding customer expectations in inkjet, visual communications, wearables and robotics. Epson is proud of its contributions to realizing a sustainable society and its ongoing efforts to realizing the United Nations' Sustainable Development Goals.
Led by the Japan-based Seiko Epson Corporation, the worldwide Epson Group generates annual sales of more than JPY 1 trillion.