Minimizing Customer Environmental Impacts
We sell products and services that transform the way our customers work. In so doing, we are minimizing their environmental impacts while also raising their operational efficiency and productivity.
- Our innovative products and services make our customers' jobs and lives easier and more enjoyable while also shrinking their environmental footprints.
- Our products and services enable new business processes and offer outstanding economic and environmental value.
Shrinking the Environmental Footprint of Offices with a Combination of Performance and Efficiency
With built-in PrecisionCore lineheads, the WF-C20590 is a high-speed multi-function inkjet capable of print speeds up to 100 ppm (pages per minute)*1. That's double the output of the typical office laser printer. Enabled by Epson's inkjet technologies, high-speed linehead inkjet multi-function printers (MFPs) take the combination of print performance and energy efficiency to the next level.
Seiko Epson received Director-General’s Prize, The Agency for Natural Resources and Energy for these MFPs at the FY2018 Grand Prize for Excellence in Energy Efficiency and Conservation (Product Category & Business Model Category) awards ceremony sponsored by the Energy Conservation Center, Japan. Among other things, these blazingly fast linehead MFPs were recognized for their high energy efficiency and for the infrequency with which consumables and limited lifetime parts need to be replaced.
*1 For single-sided A4 sheets. WF-C17590: 75 ppm
Ideas for the Office
Businesses are more sensitive than ever to environmental issues. Many try to save energy by adjusting their thermostat settings or adopting LED lighting. What they may overlook is that printers and MFPs account for about 10% of total power consumed in a typical office.
We see an opportunity to help them further cut their energy use and costs. Epson inkjet printers draw very little power when printing because ink droplets are ejected by the action of piezoelectric elements that contract under only a tiny applied voltage. In contrast, laser printers require heat–and a lot of electricity–to fuse toner to paper.
Power Consumed per Page
The graph below shows the estimated energy consumed per page. The figures, which are based on typical electricity consumption (TEC*3) values provided by the ENERGY STAR®, may be used as a guide to compare products running at different speeds. The graph indicates the superior energy efficiency of Epson's WF-C20590, which uses only about 1/8th the energy of a typical A3 color laser office MFPs.
*3 Typical weekly electricity consumption (when cycling through the active, sleep, and off states for five days, and between the sleep and off states for two days)
Increasing efficiency and reducing energy costs
We at Plan International, a children's aid organization that is active in over 70 countries, have replaced most of our laser printers with Epson inkjet printers. We use Epson's high-speed linehead inkjet multifunction printers for high-volume print jobs in order to maximize speed, quality, and efficiency. Lower energy costs are an added benefit, as are a cooler office environment and better indoor air quality, since inkjets do not heat up a room. We are extremely satisfied with the excellent output and superior printing performance of Epson's printers, as well as their environmental performance, as sustainability is crucial in environmentally conscious Germany.
- High-speed linehead inkjet multi-function printers enabled by Epson's inkjet technologies take the combination of print performance and energy efficiency to the next level.
- Epson's WF-C20590 demonstrate superior energy efficiency, using only about 1/8th *4 the energy of a typical A3 color laser office MFPs.
Adding New Value to Paper Contributes to a Circulating Society
The PaperLab A-8000, the world's first dry-process office papermaking system*1, makes new paper from old right on-site. Epson's unique dry fiber technology represents a breakthrough in paper recycling. It enables scrap paper to be reused not only in new paper production but also in the production of a variety of other pulp-based products.
The PaperLab A-8000 was awarded the Minister’s Prize, The Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry, at the first EcoPro Awards ceremony (formerly called the Eco-Products Awards) sponsored by the Japan Environmental Management Association for Industry (JEMAI). In addition to outstanding and innovative paper recycling technology, the PaperLab was recognized for its use in producing environmental education materials, for its use as a symbol of environmental measures, and for helping to raise awareness about resource circulation.
*1 Based on a November 2016 Epson study of the office paper recycling market
Preservation of Water Resources
An ordinary paper recycling process uses about a cup of water to produce a single A4 sized sheet of paper. In contrast, the A-8000 uses only a small fraction of this to maintain humidity within the system, thus helping to conserve precious water resources.
Effective Use of Forest Resources
Paper is produced from wood taken from the forests, and while efforts have been made to conserve this resource by producing cardboard from recycled paper, the A-8000 produces new copy paper from used documents right in the office. Also, any paper produced by the A-8000 may be marked with the eco-label established by the 3R Promotion Forum Japan.
The A-8000 reproduces paper on the spot–a fresh surprise that can raise the environmental awareness of your staff and spawn further environmental action. Children who have had the opportunity to see paper recycled come away with insights and greater concern for the environment, as well as a desire to solve environmental issues with science.
Internal Case Study
Epson uses the A-8000 extensively to recycle and reproduce paper used on its own sites. In 2018, this recycled paper was used to produce all orientation training materials for new employees. It is being used for calendars and employee business cards. This paper is also used for notebooks and memo pads, and we plan to further expand uses in the near future. The production of paper and paper-based goods has expanded the range of job opportunities for the staff of Epson Mizube Corp., a special subsidiary that supports the employment of persons with disabilities and is involved in these activities.
Epson also uses a machine that employs dry fiber technology to upcycle recovered paper into waste-ink pads for inkjet printers and sound absorbing materials for the A-8000.
Beyond direct benefits: raise children's awareness of the environment
The city government of Shiojiri decided to install a PaperLab after examining the potential environmental, security, and job creation benefits. We saw that we could promote environmental conservation through local recycling of used paper without stressing water resources. We saw that we could strengthen security by destroying sensitive information on-site. And we saw that we could develop employment opportunities for persons with disabilities. I personally feel that the biggest benefit is that the PaperLab can inspire children. For a resource-poor country like Japan, the development of high-productivity industries is important for the national identity. So, I think it is critical to instill in children a sense of awe and excitement about technology and learning.
A tangible benefit of installing PaperLab is its productivity: We are producing, on average, 18,000 new sheets of paper per month from locally recovered paper and use them to make application forms etc. This has enabled us to reduce the amount of waste paper transported off-site for disposal by 20%.
PaperLab A-8000 is an office papermaking system that recycles paper right on site using a dry process.
- The dry fiber technology used by the A-8000 represents a breakthrough in paper recycling that contributes to the conservation of water resources.
- "Paper to paper" recycling, where fresh sheets of copy paper are produced from used paper generated on-site, is an effective way to conserve forests.
- The ability to recycle at the office reduces the volume of paper that must be transported to off-site recyclers.
Raising Meeting Productivity with Interactive Communication
Epson's interactive projectors increase the productivity of interactive meetings, deliver more effective presentations, and even contribute to a smaller environmental footprint.
Reduce Your Environmental Footprint with Videoconferencing
Connect your existing videoconferencing system to the projector, and use the projector's whiteboard sharing, multi-location interactive and split-screen functions to display your videoconference on one side of the screen and your presentation on the other, to achieve virtual face-to-face collaboration. This interactive projector can reduce the need for travel and reduce your environmental footprint.
Whiteboard Sharing Function
- Share your whiteboard with up to 15 PCs, tablets, or sites that have a EB-1460Ui.
Multi-location Interactive Function
- Share your PC screen with up to four locations.
- Participants in all locations can annotate a presentation and save the content to their PCs.
Split Screen Function
- Achieve virtual face-to-face collaboration while sharing whiteboard and PC screen images.
- Clearly display different content on a split screen that measures up to 100 inches.
Use as a Copyboard
The all-in-one interactive projector with copyboard, electronic blackboard, and other common whiteboard functions saves both resources and installation space. Directly annotate up to 50 sheets' worth of projected data and images, no PC required. Increase meeting productivity and minimize printouts by saving data or by emailing it directly from the projector.
- Connect your videoconferencing system to the projector, and use the whiteboard sharing, multi-location interactive and split-screen functions to display your videoconference on one side of the screen and your presentation on the other, to achieve easy remote collaboration and reduce the need for travel. Helps to reduce your environmental footprint.
- This all-in-one interactive projector includes copyboard, electronic blackboard, and other whiteboard functions to save both resources and installation space.
- Projected data and images can be annotated with digital pens. Minimize printouts by saving data as is or by emailing it directly from the projector.
- Energy-saving features
- An illuminance sensor detects ambient brightness and automatically adjusts the output of the lamp
- You can reduce power consumption by as much as 23% using ECO mode
- Consumes just 0.22 W of power in Standby mode*1
*1 Power consumption values and reduction ratio are for projectors operating at 100-120 V.
Changing Office Printing with Inkjet Technology
Printers with the innovative new high-capacity replaceable ink pack system require minimal replacement of consumables and minimal energy, saving work while reducing environmental impacts.
Reducing Environmental Impacts with the High-Capacity Replaceable Ink Pack System
High-capacity ink packs not only reduce costs but contribute to reducing environmental impact by reducing resource consumption and minimizing waste. They also ease the burden of managing consumables replacement and help reduce downtime.
* Comparison of global warming impacts of consumables and their packaging. The 84,000-page*1 yield of the color ink pack of the WF-C869R series was used as the basis for comparing consumables*2 for the Epson LP-M8170, a color laser MFP (only available in Japan). Epson calculates the total global warming impacts of consumables (material, material processing) as CO2 emissions based on Epson's test conditions. Figures don't include ink and toner, but include the effects*3 of the material recycling. CO2 emissions will vary depending on customer printer use.
*1 Quoted yields are simulated figures calculated by Epson based on the ISO/IEC24711 methodology using the ISO/IEC24712 test patterns.
*2 WF-R869R: Ink pack, Maintenance box
LP-M8170: Toner cartridge, Photoreceptor, Waste toner box
Numbers are calculated proportionally based on the number of pages printed.
*3 Reduction of CO2 emissions due to recycling.
Supporting Energy-Efficient Offices with Inkjet Printing
Because inkjet printers use no heat in the printing process, they consume far less power than laser printers, which in turn reduces the running cost.
The Business Inkjet Difference
Inkjet printers have a simple energy-saving structure that allows ink to be fired onto paper. Unlike laser printers, heat is not used in the printing process. Inkjets thus contribute to limiting the unseen energy costs and the environmental burden of everyday office operations.
- High-capacity ink packs allow you to print up to 84,000 pages without replacing ink and reduce CO2 emissions by up to 94% compared to their equivalent laser printers, which consume a large number of toner cartridges and photoconductor units.
- Inkjet printers that do not use heat to print consume far less energy than laser printers.
Revolutionizing Textile Printing Processes with Digital Technology
By introducing in digital processes, Epson's inkjet technology provides good value to customers in the textile printing industry and helps them sharply reduce their environmental footprint.
*1 A digital textile printer developed with Group company, Fratelli Robustelli S.r.l.
Streamlined Manufacturing Process
Digital textile printing is greener than traditional analog textile printing. Since the digital process is shorter and does not require plates, it uses anywhere from 40% to 75% less electrical power and water than a traditional process, as well as far less ink and fewer chemical products*2.
*2 Based on Epson's own research
Efficient Inventory Management
Digital textile printing minimizes inventory losses associated with materials, partly-finished products, and finished products, from production through distribution and sale.
- The digital textile printing process, which is shorter than the traditional analog process and does not require plates, uses anywhere from 40% to 75% less electrical power and water than a traditional process, and wastes far less ink.
- Ideal for small-lot production. Minimizes inventory losses from manufacturing through to sales.
- Digital textile printer inks have acquired Eco Passport certification, indicating that they meet international safety standard for chemical substances of textiles.
An Inkjet Workflow for Brightly Colored Garments with Fineness of Detail
There is a growing market for the printing of original images on T-shirts, polo shirts, tote bags and other cotton products. We are answering the needs of this market with advanced inkjet printing technology that renders images in vivid colors and intricate, faithful detail with low environmental impacts.
Transforming the Garment Printing Workflow
Traditional silk-screen printing requires extensive preparation, including the production of screens and the mixing of ink, as well as maintenance. For photos and other multicolored prints with gradations, the print process is long, and the longer the process, the more energy, water, materials, and other resources are used.
Digital prints produced with a SureColor SC-F2100 print digital data from a PC directly onto T-shirts and other garments. So, not only is there no need for screens or plates but images and photos can be reproduced with smooth gradations and in full color. The SureColor SC-F2100 shortens the garment printing workflow.
Moreover, the inkjet process saves resources and is more environmentally conscious than analog processes because there are no films, screens, or plates to produce, wash, or store.
Infant-safe Prints on Textiles
The UltraChrome DG inks and pretreatment liquid used in Epson's garment printers are Eco Passport*1 certified, indicating that they meet international safety standard for textiles. Under this standard, even printed textiles that directly contact the skin of infants and toddlers are safe.
*1 Eco Passport by Oeko-Tex® is a system by which textile chemical suppliers demonstrate that their products can be used in sustainable textile production.
- Streamlined garment printing workflow compared to silk-screen printing.
- Saves resources because no plates or screens are used, unlike traditional printing processes that require a separate film and screen for each color. No washing required, since there are no screens.
- UltraChrome DG ink and pretreatment liquid are certified of Eco Passport.
The value of color on demand
Easily print full-color labels, tickets and tags - where and when users need them and in the quantities required.
Eliminate large inventories of pre-printed labels on demand by printing labels in short runs.
Epson's ColorWorks inkjet label printers simplify traditional processes
Thermal printers were traditionally used to overprint black onto pre-printed labels, but this approach can be slow, disruptive, wasteful and inconvenient. Epson's range of on-demand color inkjet printers eliminates these issues easily. With the ability to print customized color labels, tickets and tags in-house as and when required, users no longer have to worry about inventory, production downtime, label waste, lost orders or late shipments.
- Simplifying the traditional label printing process, improve inventory management and reduce waste.
- Streamline label production by printing color labels on-demand
- No need to keep an inventory of pre-printed labels
Label Printing Technology Shifting from Analog to Digital
The trend toward short-run print jobs has spread to labels and packages, giving rise to demand for efficient printing systems that can agilely respond to this demand. Epson's digital inkjet label presses provide customers with a new label printing workflow that meets their needs.
An Efficient Label Printing Process with a Low Environmental Impacts
A digital printing process does not need the press plates and other prepress processes required by analog printing processes. And, since a digital process does not use developer or film or plate materials, it conserves resources. Capable of stable, consistent output, a digital process does not require mock-ups and thus can reduce the waste of ink and label substrates during setup. Digital label presses thus offer both a more efficient workflow from start to finish and lower environmental impacts.
SurePress AQ Ink for a Better Printing Environment
Epson's newly developed SurePress AQ ink is a non-toxic, low odor, and noncombustible water-based pigment ink that offers print shops a better working environment. This ink also provides excellent adhesion on label substrates, without the need for pre-treatments or coatings.
- Save resources by removing the need for pre-press process like plate making, and eliminating the use of developer and films.
- Easy color-matching and no replacement of plates makes the SurePress less wasteful, and enables it to consume less standard label stock and ink.
- No need for special cleaning eliminates waste fluid emissions from maintenance.
- Removing the need for pre-treatment, SurePress water-based ink has good adhesion on a variety of standard label stocks. Non-toxic, low odor, and noncombustible water-based pigment ink offers print shops a better working environment.
Reducing Environmental Impacts by Providing Remote Work Assistance with Smart Headsets
Epson’s smart headsets with binocular, see-through lenses increase operational efficiency and work quality by displaying digital manuals and work instructions in the field of vision and enabling workers to perform work with both hands. In industrial settings, these headsets can be used by managers to provide remote service and maintenance personnel, for example, with instructions and assistance.
Remote Work Assistance
The centered high-resolution 5 mega-pixel front-facing camera, with an adjustable tilt angle of up to 35 degrees, enables workers to share their view and receive help with complex tasks through streaming or recorded HD pictures and videos.
In addition to safely increasing work efficiency and contributing to greater overall operational efficiency, Epson’s smart headsets enable skilled personnel in a remote location to provide technical instructions to workers on the ground. This helps to reduce the need for travel and, consequently, your environmental footprint.
- Printed paper manuals and instructions are rendered unnecessary.
- Greater work efficiency thanks to hands-free operation.
- Tasks can be completed safely because the binocular, see-through lenses allow workers to see their surroundings through projected content.
- Images and voice can be shared with workers in remote locations so that assistance can be provided effectively.
Used for work where they wear caps, or where they do not need to wear anything on their head
- Infrastructure (server room)
- Manufacturing (assembly of office automation equipment, household appliances, vehicles, etc.)
- Maintenance (large equipment such as aircraft, semiconductor manufacturing equipment)
- Agriculture (technology transfer)
Used for work where wearing a helmet is mandatory
- Infrastructure (electricity, gas, water)
- Manufacturing (heavy machinery, steel, robotics)
- Construction, Public Works (building construction, excavations, bridges)
- The headsets are equipped with a camera and sensors that provide remote personnel with an accurate picture of the situation so that they can provide workers on the ground with instructions and assistance without having to travel, so the environmental impacts associated with travel can be reduced. The headsets also promise to reduce downtime and time losses associated with travel.
- Hands-free operation enables tasks to be performed safely and efficiently, improving both operational efficiency and work quality.
Intelligent receipt printers that control peripherals
TM-T88V-DT and TM-T88V-i are next-generation receipt printers with integrated printer and PC functions that support smart store operations when connected with tablet and POS peripherals.
Greatly Simplified System Configuration
The TM-T88V-DT is loaded with interfaces for connectivity with a wide assortment of peripheral devices. Since it can be used with a Web browser and is not dependent on any one OS or terminal type, the TM-T88V-DT greatly simplifies POS system configuration.
The latest applications are always available through the cloud (Web server), reducing the environmental impacts of onsite installation and updating by the service staff.
POS configuration flexibility
Because the number of POS systems can be flexibly changed depending on the level of demand, users can reduce the environmental impacts of their operation by removing unnecessary devices.
Every network terminal is available
The latest power-saving smart devices can be utilized because the Intelligent receipt printer has no restrictions on the type of terminal or OS.
Contributes to resource-saving by incorporating the space-saving design of the TM series printers. It's footprint is approx. equal to the TM-T88V.
Paper-saving features reduce paper use by up to 30%.
- Because the number of POS systems can be flexibly changed depending on the level of demand, users can reduce the environmental impacts of their operation by removing unnecessary devices.
- The latest applications are always available through the cloud (Web server), reducing the environmental impacts of onsite installation and updating by service staff.
- The latest power-saving smart devices can be utilized because the TM-T88V-DT has no restrictions on the type of terminal or OS.
- Equipped with paper-saving features, the TM-T88V uses up to 30% less paper than the TM-T88IV.
- The TM-T88V-DT contributes to resource-saving by incorporating space-saving design. Its footprint is approximately equal to that of the TM-T88V.
Revamping the Photo Printing Workflow with Inkjet Minilabs
Epson inkjet minilabs are easier to maintain than traditional silver-halide photofinishing equipment. In addition to streamlining the photo printing workflow, they save maintenance costs, help to mitigate resource consumption and reduce the environmental impacts of the printing process.
Efficient Photo Printing with Digital Printing
Silver-halide minilabs require chemical adjustment and calibration in the morning, as well as waste fluid processing and cleaning at the end of the day*1. The SureLab SL-D3000 inkjet minilab, however, does not require any special maintenance at startup and shutdown. Inkjet minilabs dramatically improve the photofinishers' work environment because, without chemicals, there is no waste liquid to be processed, no parts to be cleaned, and no chemical smell.
*1 According to Epson research.
- No chemicals means no liquid waste.
- No washing process means no water hookup is needed.
- Compact body has a 2.1 m² installation footprint*2.
The compact design allows greater installation freedom.
*2 Without sorter option