Response to the California Formaldehyde Regulation for Composite Wood Products
Request for business partners supplying the Seiko Epson Group with composite wood as production material to comply with the California Formaldehyde Regulation for Composite Wood Products [Airborne Toxic Control Measure to Reduce Formaldehyde Emission From Composite Wood Products (sections 93120-93120.12, title 17, California Code of Regulations)].
On January 1, 2009 the State of California enacted legislation to regulate the amount of formaldehyde emitted from composite wood products.
We therefore ask for your cooperation in complying with the stipulations hereinafter when supplying regulated composite wood production material.
However, these restrictions do not apply in the event that the business site specifically instructs the supplier that the regulation does not apply to the product in question.
Regulated composite wood
- Hardwood plywood - veneer core (HWPW-VC)
- Hardwood plywood - composite core (HWPW-CC)
- Particleboard (PB)
- Medium density fiberboard (MDF)
- Thin Medium density fiberboard (Thin MDF)
*Note: MDF that has maximum thickness of eight millimeters.
- Finished goods that contain 1-5
However, the following situations are excluded:
- Products where the final place of consumption is outside the state of California
- Wood packaging (e.g., pallets, crates)
*Note: Wood packaging is clearly exempted in accordance with FAQ issued on March 17,2009. Please refer to the URL below for information.
1. Third-party certification and submission of measurement report
We ask that you obtain certification from a third-party organization approved by the ARB (California Air Resources Board), and submit a formaldehyde measurement report to the purchasing business site.
(1) List of third-party certifiers
Please refer to the URL below for information on ARB approved third-party certification organizations.
|Effective Date||Phase 1 and Phase 2 Formaldehyde Emission Standards for Hardwood Plywood (HWPW), Particleboard (PB), and Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF) (1)|
|1-1-2009||P1: 0.08||P1: 0.18||P1: 0.21||P1: 0.21|
|1-1-2011||P2: 0.09||P2: 0.11|
*Based on the primary test method [ASTM E 1333-96(2002)] in parts per million (ppm).
HWPW-VC = veneer core; HWPW-CC = composite core; Thin MDF = MDF that has maximum thickness of eight millimeters
(3) Test Method
Please use one of the following test methods:
- ASTM E 1333-96(2002)
- ASTM D 6007-02 (With the additional condition)
- An alternative test method authorized by the ARB
2. Submission of the compliance declaration form
Complete the required fields of the Compliance with California Composite Wood Products Regulation (16KB) form and submit it to the department, at the purchasing business site, that handles the Seiko Epson Group "Green Procurement Information Survey" for each product.
When supplying finished products, please attach labels containing the following information to the actual product:
- Manufacturer name
- Date the finished good was produced
- Complies with CCR 93120.2(a)
*Note: Denotes strict compliance with the formaldehyde emissions standards of this regulation
4. Details on the regulation
For details on the regulation, please refer to the following URL.